Proudly Serving Alberta
Alberta Construction Law Lawyers
Alberta Construction Law Lawyers | Verhaeghe Law Office
Construction Law Builders LiensLearn More
At Verhaeghe Law Office – our Alberta construction lawyers have a great deal of experience assisting clients with construction law matters. Anyone involved in a construction project, no matter how peripheral their involvement may seem, may require the services of a construction lawyer. We service corporations of varying sizes, local contractors and contractors from outside Alberta, individual home-owners, trades and materials suppliers, architects and designers, governments, banks and credit unions. Contact us for legal assistance on your construction law matters in Alberta.
Builders’ Lien matters
Issues related to builders’ liens are among the more common reasons that our clients come to us. The owner of a property undergoing construction may require a construction lawyer if:
- the owner is not satisfied with the work done to the property
- a contractor or subcontractor registers a lien against the property
- to facilitate the holdback process.
Similarly, the holder of a mortgage on the property, an investor in the property or anyone else with an interest in the property, may find they need a construction lawyer if the title of the property is affected, as is the case when a lien is registered.
A general contractor may need a construction lawyer if:
- a dispute arises about the quality of the work done on a project or
- the general contractor has not been paid.
While it is not always possible, we do our best to resolve all disputes relating to builders’ liens out of the courtroom.
Recently-approved changes to Alberta’s Builders’ Lien Act, soon to be re-named the Prompt Payment and Construction Lien Act, will:
- standardize billing practices for the construction industry
- extend time limits for filing a lien
- establish a formal adjudication system for the construction industry and
- govern the release of holdbacks at specific times on large, multi-year projects.
If you have questions about how these changes will affect your business or your construction project, we can help.
What an Alberta Construction Lawyer can do for you
Our interest in construction does not stop at construction liens. We also provide services related to:
- all aspects of contract negotiation, drafting, review and enforcement
- all aspects of dispute resolution and litigation in the event that a dispute proceeds to court
- the tendering or procurement process
- the financing aspects of a construction project
- disputes regarding new home warranties
- property assessment complaints and the appeals process
- general advice on risk management and insurance
- professional liability for architects or other professionals involved in a project.
Our Alberta construction lawyer can ensure that your project is carried out within the parameters set by the municipal, provincial and federal governments by providing advice on, or dealing with disputes relating to:
- occupational health and safety
- environmental regulations and assessments
- workers’ compensation issues
- labour and employment issues
- energy and regulatory restrictions
- zoning issues, subdivision and development issues and municipal by-laws affecting your project.
Book a Consultation with Verhaeghe Law Office’s Alberta Construction Law Lawyers
Good advice before you start your project can save you time, money and stress later on. Let our Edmonton Construction Lawyer provide you with the information you need to proceed with confidence as you negotiate Alberta’s construction industry. Whether you are an individual home-owner or small local supplier of materials, or a large national contractor or government entity, we have the drive and the resources to help you. Contact us today to arrange a consultation.
Top 10 Reasons to Hire A Builders Lien Lawyer
If you find yourself in a situation where you've done the work for a client and they refuse to pay, you may need a builders lien lawyer. Here are 10 ways a builders lien lawyer can help you sort things out and get your money from a client.Read More
Everything You Need to Know About a Builders Lien
If you're having difficulties getting paid, seek out a builders lien. We have all of the information on what this is and how it can benefit you.Read More
Builders’ Liens, Construction Liens, and Oil and Gas Liens in Alberta
If you’re a contractor, supplier, construction company, or oil and gas firm, odds are at least once in your career you’re going to be stuck in the unfortunate circumstance of being unpaid after the work is done.Read More