How to Prepare for Your Personal Injury Consultation
The days and weeks following an injury can be full of uncertainty. You may require immediate medical attention, as well as follow-ups, and ongoing support as you begin your journey to recovery. As a result, you may need to take time away from work, thus potentially adding financial stress.
Depending on the nature of your circumstances, there may be compensation available to you through a personal injury claim. Money awarded in a personal injury claim may go towards offsetting the costs of medical and rehabilitative treatments, psychological care, massage therapy, lost income, and more.
Our Edmonton personal injury lawyers would be happy to discuss your particular case. Contact us today to schedule a time to speak with us, and read on to learn how to prepare for your personal injury consultation.
Assemble Your Information
In order to make the most of your initial consultation with our Edmonton personal injury lawyers, it may benefit you to assemble your information in advance of speaking with us. We will ask you to tell us the story of your accident - how and where it occurred, what injuries resulted, and how the injuries have affected your life.
Where possible, try to assemble documents and written records that may serve as evidence of your story. These can include:
- Medical records, especially as relevant to your accident-related injuries
- If you were in a motor vehicle accident, an Alberta collision report form
- Copies of any correspondence you have had with insurance companies, both your own and those of other people involved in the accident
- Copies of any correspondence you have had with the other parties in the accident
- Photographic and/or video evidence from the accident site, as well as your injuries
- Statements and contact information from witnesses present at the time of the accident
- Information concerning your employment, including where you are employed, how often and in what capacity you worked before the accident, and how this has shifted following the accident
- Receipts of any expenses incurred as a result of your injuries (eg. medical bills, prescription medication, rehabilitative treatments, etc.)
Our priority in your initial personal injury consultation is to understand your case as clearly as possible. The more information you may be able to provide, the clearer our understanding may be. If in doubt, bring it. Contact us if you have any specific questions in advance of your consultation.
Common Questions a Personal Injury Lawyer May Ask
As we strive to understand your circumstances, our Edmonton personal injury lawyers may ask you a series of clarifying questions. The more specific you are able to be, the better we may be able to judge how to best be of help to you.
Common questions a personal injury lawyer may ask you include:
- How did the accident occur?
- What physical injuries have you sustained?
- What psychological injuries have you sustained?
- What medical treatment have you sought?
- Where have you sought medical treatment?
- How did you pay for your medical treatment?
- Do you have any private insurance coverage?
- What ongoing pain are you experiencing as a result of your injuries?
- What out-of-pocket expenses have you incurred for treatment of your injuries?
- What non-medical out-of-pocket expenses have you incurred related to the accident?
- Where are you employed?
- How have your injuries impacted your ability to perform your regular employment duties?
- How have your injuries impacted your ability to perform regular day-to-day activities?
- If your accident involved a motor vehicle, was the other party charged with a traffic offence?
Details such as dates and times, as well as numbers (where concerning expenses, for example) may help our Edmonton personal injury lawyers provide a more informed consultation on your case. Should you choose to move forward with a personal injury claim, this information may be vital in providing evidence to support your claim.
Prepare Your Questions
Your initial consultation with our Edmonton personal injury lawyers is an opportunity to see how we may be of service to you. Come prepared with questions, and feel free to add new ones as they arise during our conversation. It is important to choose an Edmonton personal injury lawyer you trust, and with whom you feel comfortable.
Questions you may wish to ask Edmonton personal injury lawyers include:
- Have you handled cases such as mine in the past?
- What have been the outcomes of cases similar to mine?
- How much compensation might I receive?
- How long might it take my case to settle?
- What are your fees?
- How do you collect your fees?
Contact Our Edmonton Personal Injury Lawyers Today for a Consultation
Compensation may be available to you if your injuries have been caused by another person’s negligent actions. Our Edmonton personal injury lawyers prioritize compassionate, efficient service. Contact us today to book a consultation and discuss the specifics of your case.
** Please note, this article is intended as a general overview on the subject of personal injury law, and is not intended to be legal advice. If you are seeking legal advice, please consult with an Alberta personal injury lawyer.